Monday, March 22, 2010

Chewy Cocoa Nib & Hazelnut Cookies



I'm on a mission, to create as many things as possible using cocoa nibs, see my post on granola bars.  I was thumbing through a local food magazine and came across a cookie recipe using ground hazelnuts and of course immediately thought of cocoa nibs, why wouldn't you?!!
The cookies are said to be chewy gems.  Figuring  they would already be sweet enough since a high chew in cookies means more sugar, the cocoa nibs seemed to be a good choice to balance that sweetness.  Well my bag of nibs was getting pretty light so this batch I used some hazelnuts to make up the full amount.  Next time I'll go for all nibs.


This recipe turns out to be a keeper!  The cookies are crispy on the outside while soft and chewy on the inside.  They were quick to make since everything is dumped together and the butter is melted so no need to do any creaming or pull out any mixers.  A great simple recipe for any non bakers out there or anyone who only has a bowl and spoon!!



After grinding the nibs down I only had 2/3 what was needed for the recipe so I added ground hazelnuts to make up the rest. If I had ground the nuts down further to a powder I would have made cocoa powder!



 The dough does have to sit in the fridge to firm up.  Once firm use a tablespoon to scoop the dough into even size bits of dough. 
  

Then roll the dough to form balls.  Now you have even sized cookie dough.  Leave room for spreading!

Cooled cookies, pre dusted


The finally, dusted with icing sugar and ready to test!!  Mind you, I was only left with half the cookies at this stage because they snapped up rather quickly



1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
1/2 cup ground cocoa nibs
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
Icing sugar for dusting

 Preheat oven to 350F.
In a medium sized bowl, mix the nuts, nibs, sugar, and salt.  Stir in butter, egg, and vanill.  Add flour and mix until no flour is showing.  Put in fridge until firm, about 30 minutes.  Using a tablespoon scoop the dough and drop onto lined cookie sheets.  Roll the dough and space evenly apart. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly firm on the top.  Let cookies cool completely, then dust with icing sugar.

REMEMBER -You can always substitute and use any kind of nut instead of the nibs and hazelnut!



1 comment:

  1. They look so beautiful, and so so easy to make. I am going to make them, and I'll report if it is indeed true that a "non-baker" with only a bowl and a spoon (yes, that's all I have in my baking tool kit) can make these delicious sounding treats!
    Thanks Joan~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails