Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tool Tuesday - Silpat


I love, I love, I love my Silpat!!! A what you may ask?  The Silpat is a non-stick baking sheet made of fiberglass and silicone.  It is flexible and washable, just don't put it in the dishwasher.  Gone are the days where you need to spray your cookie sheet, where half your potato wedges are stuck to the cookie sheet, and where you have to fuss with cutting parchment paper the right size.

It took me a while to buy one, at $30 (Canadian) a sheet I always thought why bother.  Oh let me tell you how I have enjoyed having this product in my kitchen!  My cookies never stick to the pan, I can toss my potatoes in olive oil right on the sheet and pop in the oven, and melted cheese peels away.  Cleanup?.... the best part, a simple scrub in the sink and you're done.  No more stuck on cheese from pizzas or bits of potatoes to scrape off, it never happens!!

I've certainly put mine to good use over the past 6 years (can you tell!), easily used every day.  It is starting to show its age but I don't mind because it still gets the job done.  I did have two, unfortunately one had to be tossed.  Not naming names, but someone in the house (there are only 2 of us) left the cookie sheet on the stove with an element on!!!!!  I thought it could be saved but the heat was just to hot for it, and the cookie sheet too!  I guess the heat surpassed 482 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was a sad day because I thought I was lucky to have 2 Silpats!!!  Needless to say I have yet to buy that second one.

If you bake cookies regularly you should think about picking one up, or drop subtle hints!

I just finished making granola bars on mine, no sticking to the pan here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails